Saturday, January 11, 2014

New Years Fun

It was so fun to get to see Jen over the break.  She came for a longer visit and we got a few awesome times with her.  We had a nice dinner here with Jen, Josh, the Dibberts on New Years Eve.  Unfortunately none of us made it till midnight, but I think we're all over the novelty of that, and value sleep much more!  Still, we had a delicious dinner together and got to hang out after with Jen and Josh some, so that was good enough for us!
Michael, Josh and Jen and some delicious food
Eowyn, James, Caroly and smiley Jamison
We haven't had a whole lot of snow here, so when Liam saw it coming down on Jan 1st he was all about getting into the backyard and playing in it.  He doesn't get cold, so he was out there for 45 mins using his dump truck and bulldozer to push snow around.  Eowyn was happy to go out for a bit, but I think she made it about 15 mins!  
All ready for the snow
Tracks in the snow - Eowyn heading out
Playing in the backyard - snow for the new year
On the 2nd Jen and Josh had offered to take us to this fairly new indoor climbing place about 20 mins away from us.  I've been rock climbing I think exactly once, and outside, so I was definitely excited to try it out, and we were eager to see what Liam thought of the experience.  As it turns out (not a big surprise) he loved it!  He was slightly hesitant at the beginning only because he wasn't sure what he was supposed to be doing, but once he got the hang of it (it took 3 times going up), he was zooming up the wall.  It was really fun to encourage him and see him go for it.  Eowyn was a bit small for actual rock climbing, but she loved running around the huge space and she did hang on to the wall at one point.
It was too bad James wasn't able to climb.  Another injury.  But I had a great time.  I can totally see myself getting into it!
I love that Eowyn put her hands in her pockets all by herself!
Liam in his climbing shoes - little billy goat
Jen and Liam ready to climb
Jen and Josh get Liam set up - I'm so glad we got to go with them as they really know what they are doing!
Jen belays Liam on his very first climb
Liam and I go up together and try and high five!
Eoywn lounging on the chairs watching climbers
Liam also tries bouldering without the ropes, and did quite well!
On my way to the top - the beginner routes were so nice and easy for me with my lanky body
Eowyn gripping on!
Liam goes up a bit higher
Liam and Jen make it to the top together - he was up there as fast as she was!
Liam and Jen rappelling down
Josh convinced me to try a 5c and I had my work cut out - it was way harder than the beginner routes! (this is me taking a break!)
All in all it was a really fun outing and something I'd love to do again.  It felt like a great active thing to do as a family!

No comments:

Post a Comment